Kingpin Motel

 


I chose the Kingpin Motel from Season 1 as John Winchester's room in the A-Frame.  Unlike my other miniature motel rooms, which tend to be bright and cheery, I deliberately tried to make John's room grubby, with stained furniture, rug, and drab beige bedding to give the room a worn look.  I even made John his own set of pillows that are flattened as if they've seen better days.  

Below, you can see the bowling pin-themed room divider on the original set:




John's suite has a bedroom divided from the living area with a door and a frosted glass window adorned with bowling balls and pins.  The artwork on the wall is black and white photographs of people, mostly bowling.  I used art from the Mattel website to create miniature photographs.  The red upholstered chair, tan recliner, small television, and mid-century modern coffee table are all copies of furniture in the living area.



I almost always take artistic liberties with my mini motel rooms.   Instead of exact replicas, they're often "inspired by" the original sets.  Three examples are shown in the sleeping area:  instead of single bowling pins as lamp bases, I made the mini lamp above.  The fabric for the original curtains was available for purchase online, but while browsing, I found the gray fabric above which I just liked better than the original red curtains.  Finally, instead of the pale turquoise blue painted walls of the original room, I made wallpaper with a mid-century modern-esque design of squares that echoes the background pattern of the curtain material.  



The artwork on the wall of the bedroom area is cutouts from the curtain fabric.  Bedspreads are drab material from a worn-out sweatshirt.


Above:  a view of the room set up in my disassembled A-Frame.  This is how I take the majority of the photos of scenes that occur inside the house.  When using an existing wall from the A-Frame, as shown above, I attach paperboard panels with poster putty for interchangeable wallpaper.  

I used my computer to make a miniature copy of  the "wallpaper" (in this case, painted cinderblock) from the original motel room set. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season 1, Episode 1: A Long Way from Home

Season 1, episode 6: A Day In The Life

Season 1, Episode 4: Bat out of Hell