Cicero Pines Motel

 Dean dropped Sam off at the Cicero Pines Motel in Season 3, episode 2 of Supernatural.  I recreated Sam's motel room for Mary Winchester's bedroom in the magical A-Frame.


This room had a couple of really cool lamps.  I recreated the ceramic lamp using Sculpey clay.  
The red velvet chair has chopstick legs.



Dean made flamethrowers to battle the monster, a mother Changeling.



Mary's room includes recreations of the Winchester's family photographs.



The photo above shows the use of mirrors throughout this episode.  I like how Dean used the edge of the desk to hold ready-torn strips of duct tape.  This is how I set up duct tape whenever I'm using it as a crafting material.  Because I'm cool like Dean, obviously.  



I used a metal bottle stopper to recreate the metal bedside lamps below.  




The room divider in this motel is a planter filled with fake flowers.  Mine are custom-dyed to match the originals.



The door appears to be covered with a different color scheme of damask-patterned wallpaper.  I made a faux door with its own contrast colored wallpaper.



The floor in Mary's room is a placemat from Dollar Tree.  
The gold colored curtains are twice-recycled:  a tablecloth from the seventies that I dyed to cover stains.  I originally used it as a tablecloth, then cut it up to make the curtains and a couple of other projects.
The floor mirror is a thrift store find.  It originally had an inspirational quote painted over the frosted glass.  I like the frosted glass which gives the impression of a mirror without reflecting me, my cell phone, or the full-size room.



Mary's room is on the second floor and has its own balcony with a "sliding" "glass" door.



Ruby the Demon, version 1.0, in front of the gold curtains.



Sam's reaction to learning that Ruby is a demon.  Fine acting by Jared Padalecki.

This episode is explained beautifully in an essay at The Sheila Variations.  Among many other things, she discusses director Phil Sgriccia's use of mirrors:


Above:  reflections of a distraught mother whose child was replaced by a changeling.


The Winchester brothers' reflections prepare for battle.


I use a small collection of mirrors in Mary's room.  I'm very happy with the repainted vanity and matching bench.  They were originally white, hot pink, and turquoise.  Absolutely hideous.



Ugh.  See what I mean?



I took this photo about a year, maybe a year and a half before I started photographing and posting my fanfiction story of the resurrected hunters in their little heaven. I no longer use the "shag rug" in Mary's room.




My first attempts at staging the motel rooms/bedrooms in the disassembled A-Frame.  This photo and the one below also show the headboards I built from paperboard, beads, and folded/rolled paper, and the ridiculous amount of cut and stained coffee stir sticks needed to frame the "damask" wallpaper panels.



I used rubber stamps and freehand dots to paint the pattern on the bedspreads, which were sewn from gold-colored pillow shams from the thrift store.  The maroon bed skirts are fabric from the same pillow shams.  The paisley throw pillows and bolsters are upholstery fabric samples.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season 1, Episode 1: A Long Way from Home

Season 1, episode 6: A Day In The Life

Season 1, Episode 4: Bat out of Hell