Flamingo Des Palm Motel

 Supernatural Season 3, Episode 11 finds Sam and Dean at a pink flamingo themed motel.  I recreated this room for Jo Harvelle's bedroom in the A-frame.


This shot of almost the entire room is one of the priceless gifts the director sometimes seemed to create just for me as a diorama maker.  You can see the mostly yellow and blue color scheme, the circles-and-flamingos room divider, the bathroom's flamingo-print wallpaper, and if you squint, you can even see the flamingo mural painted on the wall behind the beds.



I was pretty happy with how the headboards and bedside table turned out.  I used coffee stir sticks and made a printable of woven cane.





I used an image from the internet to make the clock radio.


"Do these tacos taste funny to you?"  The kitchenette was incredibly cluttered in this episode.









As always, I use the motel sets as inspiration instead of trying to copy them exactly.  The original was white with pale pearlescent pink Xmas ornaments.  



My artist friend Anne painted this mural for me.  I have the painting skills to recreate the flamingos from the original motel room set, but asked Anne to paint something for me, knowing she'd create something fabulous.  She wanted an "Old Florida, kitchsy, paint-by-number-effect."  I am blown away by how gorgeous this mural is every time I set up the diorama.



I especially like the air conditioner wall unit.  Again, I didn't try to reproduce the original set's dinette table and chairs.  Instead I stuck with the wicker theme and made two chairs and a table using plastic wine glasses for the bases.  The "glass" tabletop is a plastic CD spacer.



I made this room long before Jo arrived in the A-Frame in my story.  I was building dioramas for a couple of years before I started posting the story to go with the house and the dolls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season 1, Episode 1: A Long Way from Home

Season 1, episode 6: A Day In The Life

Season 1, Episode 4: Bat out of Hell